How to Create a Private Podcast for Your Membership
✍️ Omer Khan
🗓 August 24, 2020
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to create a private podcast for your membership.
- Why Create a Private Podcast?
- How Does a Private Podcast Work?
- Challenges of Creating a Members-Only Private Podcast
- Step 1: Setup Your Private Podcast
- Step 2: Connect Your Private Podcast to MemberSpace
- Step 3: How Members Access Your Private Podcast
Why Create a Private Podcast?
A podcast is a great way to share your message, build an audience and grow your business. So why would anyone want to create a private podcast? There are a few scenarios where creating a private podcast makes sense:
- You run a membership site and want to create a private podcast with special content exclusively for your members.
- You have a podcast and want to create a private advertising-free version of the podcast for your paying subscribers.
- You want to improve internal communication in your company and use a private podcast to share company-wide messages or audio training.
How Does a Private Podcast Work?
A private podcast is set up in a similar way to a public podcast. You host your audio files with a podcast host that provides an RSS feed for your content.
But the RSS feed for your private podcast isn’t provided to podcast directories like iTunes, Spotify, etc. Instead, the feed is shared directly with your members, subscribers, or employees who can add it to their preferred podcast player.
The security for private podcasts is usually handled in two ways:
- Each person has to log in before they add the feed to their podcast player.
- Each person is provided a unique RSS feed which is only for their use only.
Challenges of Creating a Members-Only Private Podcast
However, there are some challenges you have to overcome in order to create a private podcast for your membership site.
Most podcast hosts are designed for public podcasts and don’t provide any private podcast functionality. And the ones that do offer this feature, usually don’t integrate with membership software like MemberSpace, so you have to manually manage the private podcast user accounts separately to your member accounts which can become a maintenance headache for your membership.
So we partnered with the folks at Castos (a podcast hosting and analytics platform) to bring you a private podcast solution that fully integrates with MemberSpace so you can manage everything from the MemberSpace backend.
Setting up your private podcast on Castos and integrating it with MemberSpace is quick and simple. In this tutorial, we show you how:
Step 1: Setup Your Private Podcast
You’ll need a Castos account to create your private podcast. If you don’t already have one, you can signup here.
Once you’ve signed up and are logged into your Castos account, you’ll need to:
- Add a new podcast to your account
- Upload your first podcast episode
- Update your podcast feed details
- Set your podcast page and feed to private
Follow these instructions (steps 1 to 4) to create your private podcast on Castos.
Step 2: Connect Your Private Podcast to MemberSpace
Once you’ve created your private podcast, you’re ready to connect it to your MemberSpace account. If you don’t have one, now’s a great time to sign-up. 😀
Here are the steps you'll need to take to connect your private podcast to MemberSpace:
- Copy your API token from your Castos account
- Paste the API token in the MemberSpace backend
- Select member plans that can access your private podcast
Follow these instructions (steps 5 to 9) to connect your private podcast to MemberSpace.
If you already have members on the plans you just selected, they will immediately be granted access to the podcast(s) via Castos after you click Update Now.
Anytime you update the checklist of plans and/or the podcasts, the list of subscribers will be synced accordingly.
And that’s it — your private podcast for your membership is ready!
Step 3: How Members Will Access Your Private Podcast
When a new member joins the plan you selected, they will automatically receive an email invitation from Castos on how to access your private podcast feed.
Here’s an overview what they’ll need to do:
- Copy the link or click the “Listen Now” button in the email
- Select the podcast player from the list of options
You can read more about how this works on the Castos website.
Once subscribed, they will automatically receive new episodes that you publish in Castos.
If a member ever cancels their plan(s) they will automatically lose access to the private podcast feed in Castos.
As you can see, setting up your private podcast on Castos and integrating it with MemberSpace is quick and simple.
Our integration with Castos gives you a great way to offer a private podcast to your members, improve your membership offering, and potentially generate more revenue. And you can do that all from the convenience of your MemberSpace backend!